Oxidative stress plays an important role in disease progression, particularly in cancer.
A concentration of free radicals, disrupts this balance, the free radicals are atoms that have one electron altered and they become unstable and highly reactive, normally they are produced by the cells, but are rapidly inactivated by certain enzymes, the rising or decreasing of reactive oxygen species (EROS) can produce certain cell functional alterations, such as atherosclerosis, aging and cancer, these are the best examples.
It can be seen therefore that FRs are formed under physiological conditions at rates controlled by the cell defense mechanisms. In this pathological situation the production increases substantially, thus entering the state of oxidative stress.
The factors leading to this situation are:
- – Chemicals: Increased heavy metals, xenobiotics, tabacco components.
- – Drugs: adriamycin.
- – Physical: ultraviolet radiation, hyperoxia.
- – Organic and metabolic: calorie diet, poor antioxidant diet, diabetes, inflammatory processes and trauma, phenomena of ischemia – re perfusion events and strenuous exercise.
OXICITY OF FREE RADICALS
- – Damage to biomolecules that are determined by FR is implicated in the development or exacerbation of numerous processes:
- – Cardiovascular system: atherosclerosis, myocardial infarct, cardiac surgery, diabetes, alcoholic heart disease.
- – Neurological system: Parkinson’s disease, Alzheimer’s disease, alcoholic neuropathy, hyperoxia, brain ischemia or stroke, head injury.
- – Eye system: cataracts, retinal degenerative damage, retrolental fibroplasia.
- – Respiratory system: respiratory distress (adult respiratory distress syndrome), smoking, lung cancer, emphysema,
- – BJMS (bone, joint and muscle) System: rheumatoid arthritis.
- – Kidney: autoimmune syndrome, nephrotoxicity to metals.
DEFENSE SYSTEM AGAINST FREE RADICALS
Defense mechanisms can be external or exogenous and internal or endogenous, to promote and ensure correction of oxidative stress, the treatment will be directed and personalized, in our patients the levels glutathione are evaluated so they may receive effective treatment for correction of oxidative stress.
Products such as glutathione, ozone and vitamin C play an important role in maintaining balance in the oxidative system; specific and direct administration assures better results, therefore avoiding over dosage and the occurrence of undesirable side effects.